Aotearoa’s Customary Fishing Management Tool
IkaNet is an online customary fishing management tool. It enables authorised tangata tiaki/kaitiaki to generate digital customary authorisations to support Iwi, hapū and whānau access to kaimoana. Free to use and 100% Iwi owned, this online tool supports kaitiaki to manage customary fishing in their rohe. IkaNet:
- Makes it easier to generate customary authorisations – once you’re signed up to IkaNet all you need is internet access, and you can login, fill out a form with the details of the request and send the digital authorisation straight to the applicant’s inbox.
- Supports sustainability by providing real-time reporting – based on authorisations granted over the rohe, kaitiaki can make informed decisions about what, where and how much they authorise. The information can also be used to respond to government policy on sustainability initiatives. All information is 100% Iwi owned.
- Enables kaitiaki to exercise their customary-commercial rights – some rohe have set up pātaka, exercising their customary-commercial right to take from the sea. Kaitiaki, from a rohe that have an established pātaka, can request kaimoana from the pātaka for customary hui.
IkaNet is a Fisheries New Zealand-approved platform. It’s compliant with a number of customary fishing regulations including: Regulation 52(2)(c) of the Fisheries (Amateur Fishing) Regulations 2013, Regulation 11 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, and Regulation 11 of the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999.
IkaNet can also be adjusted to be compliant with new customary regulations like:
- Te Arawa Lakes (Fisheries) Regulations 2006
- Waikato-Tainui (Waikato River Fisheries) Regulations 2011
Watch these videos to learn more
How to sign up
If you’re an authorised tangata tiaki/kaitiaki, click on the sign up button below, fill out the form and return the form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include supporting documentation from Fisheries New Zealand confirming your appointment to the this role. If you have any pātai about IkaNet, or how to sign up please get in touch.