Loading...
Profitability and Profit Distribution2018-07-30T02:05:55+00:00

Settlement History

Profitability and Profit Distribution

Te Ohu Kaimoana and the fisheries settlement entities were established for long-term investment to deliver consistent returns to iwi shareholders and through them to all Maori.  The nature of the activities, along with the manner in which these are required to be discharged, has meant that Te Ohu Kaimoana and iwi have been recognised as charitable, although the commercial entities are reliant on market operations to secure a reasonable return on investment.

In line with AFL’s constitution, 40 percent of its Net Profit After Tax (NPAT) must be distributed to its shareholders – iwi and Te Ohu Kaimoana, with the remaining 60 percent retained at the company level for ongoing development.  In line with the agreed method of allocation of settlement assets collectively, iwi have 80 percent of the income shares in AFL, with each receiving their shares proportional to the iwi share of the overall Māori population.  Te Ohu Kaimoana received the remaining 20 percent of income shares with the money from the dividends being used for its operational expenses.

Policy Advisory Services

Te Ohu Kaimoana provides fisheries advisory services to iwi, the Māori Fisheries Settlement entities and industry groups. Our policy team includes analysts with many years’ experience in fisheries and public policy, as well as enthusiastic and motivated university qualified staff.

Read more

Fisheries Management

We provide advice on a variety of fisheries management issues, from stock abundance and sustainability, regulations around fisheries compliance, marine protected areas, mātaitai, taiāpure, customary regulations, aquaculture management and others.

Read more

Customary Fisheries

Ongoing development of the customary fisheries regulations is one of Te Ohu Kaimoana’s major functions. Only Māori have access to customary fisheries. For many years, we have been working on ways that customary fishing can be efficiently and better managed.

Read more

Aquaculture

Te Ohu Kaimoana has responsibilities under the Māori Commercial Aquaculture Settlement Act, where iwi organisations are to receive 20 percent of designated Aquaculture Management Areas. We have statutory obligations to work with iwi in the allocation of the Māori share of AMAs in the development of aquaculture in Aotearoa New Zealand.

Read more

Allocation

A primary function of Te Ohu Kaimoana has been focussed on the allocation of Māori Fisheries Settlement assets to iwi. Since the Māori Fisheries Act 2004 was passed, Te Ohu has allocated almost all the Settlement to, resulting in more than $500 million of fisheries assets placed in Māori ownership and management.

Read more

Communications

An important role of Te Ohu Kaimoana is maintaining effective communication with our iwi stakeholders, to keep them informed of important legislative, regulatory and policy developments that affect the value of their investment and assets from the Māori Fisheries Settlement. As iwi’s representative for universal fisheries issues, Te Ohu Kaimoana engages and liaises with a range of sectors.

Read more