Te Ohu Kaimoana has now responded to Fisheries New Zealand’s consultation on changes to the recreational daily bag limit for finfish.
We would like to take this time to thank those who provided feedback on this kaupapa.
View our response to this consultation here.
The key points of our response
- Fisheries New Zealand needs to manage the recreational sector within its allowance to uphold the integrity of the TAC settings.
- Better information is required from the recreational sector to inform fisheries management.
- Consultations being undertaken by the government should align with the wider reform agenda taking place in the oceans and fisheries space.
Our key proposals
- Combining the daily bag limit for finfish species.
- Differential bag limits in the North and South Island.
- Setting a bag limit for baitfish.
- Setting a daily bag limit for Southern Bluefin by regulation